Dive into Malaysia's unique residency programs, MM2H and PVIP. Uncover insights into eligibility, benefits, and the application process, shaping the path for your possible future residency in Malaysia
Are you considering making Malaysia your second home or perhaps even thinking about starting a business venture in the country? If so, there are two promising programmes you should know about: the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) and the Malaysia Premium Visa Programme (PVIP).
Launched by the Malaysian government, both of these initiatives aim to attract foreigners to the country, albeit catering to different demographics and needs. Here's what you need to know about them.
MM2H: The Retirement Haven
The MM2H is a well-established programme that grants foreigners a renewable 5-year visa to live in Malaysia. Recently, several amendments have been made to this initiative to attract a more financially stable demographic.
Applicants must now be at least 35 years old and have a monthly income of RM40,000. Additionally, they must demonstrate liquid assets worth at least RM1,500,000 and make a fixed deposit of RM1,000,000. While the new requirements may seem steep, they come with perks such as the ability to purchase property, avail of international private medical insurance, and live in Malaysia on a long-term basis.
PVIP: The Gateway for Entrepreneurs and Talents
Introduced in 2022, PVIP is a programme aimed at attracting foreign investors, entrepreneurs, and talents to the country. Unlike MM2H, PVIP is open to individuals of all ages who can demonstrate an offshore income of RM40,000 per month.
The PVIP offers successful applicants a long-term visa (up to 20 years) that provides the right to study, work, and invest in Malaysia, making it a fantastic option for those looking to immerse themselves in the country's growing economy.
The Differences between MM2H and PVIP
|PREMIUM VISA PROGRAMME (PVIP)
|MALAYSIA MY SECOND HOME (MM2H)
|No age requirement
|35 and above
|Foreign income proof
|RM40,000 (monthly) or RM480,000 (annually)
|Liquid asset proof
|RM 1.5 million
|Investment(fixed deposit in Malaysia)
|RM 1 million
|RM 1 million
|Minimum stay in Malaysia
|Eligible to conduct business, seek employment and enroll in education
|Property investment In accordance with state government requirements on foreigner minimum purchase price
|20 years (renewable for another 20 years)
|5 years (renewable)
Stepping into Malaysia: Your MM2H and PVIP Guide
MM2H Step-by-step Guide - The ministry’s official website at www.mm2h.gov.my
- Check Your Eligibility: Ensure you meet the updated requirements: 35 years old, monthly income of RM40,000, liquid assets worth RM1,500,000, and ability to deposit RM1,000,000.
- Choose an Authorized Agent: All MM2H applications must be made through an agent authorized by the Ministry of Tourism.
- Prepare Your Application: Gather all necessary documents, including proof of income and assets.
- Submit Your Application: Submit your application online through your chosen agent.
PVIP Step-by-step Guide - The department’s official website at www.imi.gov.my
- Check Your Eligibility: You must be able to demonstrate an offshore income of RM40,000 per month.
- Choose an Authorized Agency: All PVIP applications must be submitted through an authorized agency appointed by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
- Prepare Your Application: Gather the necessary documents, primarily those proving your monthly offshore income.
- Submit Your Application: Submit your application through your chosen agency.
Whether you're looking to retire in a country renowned for its cultural diversity and natural beauty or seeking a fresh start in a booming Southeast Asian economy, Malaysia's MM2H and PVIP programmes open the door to endless possibilities.